Trisha Reloaded

Dedicated to Trisha, as always. Dedicated also to L, my source of inspiration, and the reason why I choose to see the bright side of teaching.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

My Beloved Class

They don't know it but I actually like them a lot. In fact, I think of them very often, even on weekends. I've never had a class where I look forward so much to seeing my students. My colleagues will say it's because they're the best express class for that level and I'm just lucky to get such a form class. Wait till you get a Normal Technical class, then we'll see how much love you still have for them.

Maybe.

But even with the best express class, you still hear teachers complaining about the students. So and so doesn't pay attention in class, this one talks too much, that boy gelled his hair, etc. So, if some teachers are just fond of picking faults with even the best express class, then there really is very little they are happy with and I wonder how they get through each day of teaching.

As for me, lucky or not, I shall savour every moment with this class, warts and all.

So, why do I love them? Let me count the ways -

I love them for their enthusiasm when they greet me every day. Whether it's the beginning of a school day, or the end of a grueling and humid day, there's always a buzz when I walk into the classroom. They give me smiles, and silly jokes, and our lessons are usually interspersed with the easy banter of old friends, though we've only known one another for 4 months. They don't know how much their cheerfulness is like water to parched land. I'm sometimes exhausted after lessons in another class but going to this class and being welcomed by their exuberance instantly perks me up.

I love them for being honest with me. When they're listless and unresponsive in class, they'll tell me why. So that I'll know it's not me. It's the time of day, the weather, or the stress of a test later on. I'm sometimes amazed by their sensitivity to my feelings and I'm touched by their thoughtfulness.

I love them for being who they are – the studious, the sporty, the clownish, the gentlemanly, the demure, even the ones with the gelled hair, untidy fringe and the girls with the skirts that are too short. I'm beginning to discover more and more of the varied characters I have in this class and each new discovery is a delight to me. I can't wait to unearth more gems in this class as the months unfold before me.

Certainly this class is not perfect. But I'm not looking for perfection. It is good enough that I have a class that I feel such a closeness to. As I take their attendance every morning, I derive a sense of joy from just looking at them. I scan their faces, and as I tick against their names in the attendance book, I wonder what the day will hold for me as I step into class later. I walk with a spring in my step towards their classroom, and even before I step in, my heart warms to hear their voices. I'm filled with anticipation, and for some incredible reason, because the class possesses an energy that has the power to galvanize me into wanting to give my best, I always feel good after the lesson.

This will be a marvelous year. I have a class I can sayang unreservedly till November, and I don't want to be anywhere else.

7 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For these reasons, I love my form class too. All 23 of them. :) I've moved blogs by the way, so you can update your blogroll :)

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new URL would be http://secondclass.wordpress.com

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my form class too. And they are an NT class, so they are lovable too. :D

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Join with our online community to get more free traffic to your blog and also it is the free online friends community for makeing new friends :


http://www.chokut.com

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, i was writing a blog entry with my sympathies for poor teachers in singapore "system" and found your blog through searching "i hate teaching". just dropping by to say hi and keep it up for our future generations. *salutes*

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your blog. =)

I remember when I was teaching in a sec sch, my favourite students were those from the NT classes. They were the ones who painstakingly handmade teachers' day gifts for us and I was in contact with a few of them for many years after I left.

But now that I am teaching in a completely school system, there is no turning back. Well, maybe there is 1 thing I do miss about MOE... the bonuses. -fitti

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

completely different school system*** (earlier typo) -fitti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home