Trisha Reloaded

Dedicated to Trisha, as always. Dedicated also to L, my source of inspiration, and the reason why I choose to see the bright side of teaching.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Annual song and dance

I've done this many times over the years, but each time the day is about to descend on me, I become a bundle of nerves.

Tomorrow's the day. The day when my two big bosses will be observing my lesson, and giving me an appraisal on my teaching ability. I haven't prepared my materials yet. I should be doing it now. But I'm blogging instead because I need to get the nerves out of my system.

It's not like I will lose my job if my lesson didn't go well. But if it didn't go well, my fragile self-esteem will take a beating.

I wonder if doctors and lawyers get observed by their superiors on a yearly basis. And even if they did, I wonder if it's fair to compare their observation with a lesson observation.

The students know the routine by now. Some will cooperate with you. Some will take the opportunity to display their expressive skills before their long-awaited captive audience. At all events, a lesson observation is a most contrived, unnatural affair. You don't get to see a teacher's real teaching ability. What you see is a show, put up for the purpose of being observed and appraised, and the students put on masks, and either behave exceedingly well, or nightmarishly bad. It's an atypical lesson. Both teacher and students heave a sigh of relief when it's over. The actors bow out of stage, glad to be able to get back to a normal life as it should be.

6 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Ondine said...

I sympathise. I just had one too! And I was told, the unforgivable sin that I had committed was not take attendance! Hahahahahhaha

Goodluck!

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how did it go? Tell us, please!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure your students like you enough to co-operate lah :D

To answer your question, back when I was in the law firm, we had to pass a list of our "live" matters to a partner we do not work for, and they would choose 3 random files to review... mine went to no other than 1 of the most femes Senior Counsels! B&*ls drop man :D

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trisha,

I miss your blogging. Still check your blog regularly although you haven't been updating much. :)

Observations can be quite a load of crap sometimes. My HOD criticised the way I conducted my lesson last year and when I asked her how I should improve on it, she went, "erm...erm..." So I told her that I feel that my lesson was a good lesson and my students enjoyed it and that I didn't agree with her comments. Ha... I'm not afraid of her!

Don't worry too much about it. Enjoy teaching and ask to observe your HOD's lesson if he/she feels that you didn't do a satisfactory job. Let's see if he/she can do a better job.

My ex-colleague once said, "Those who can teach, teach. Those who can't, become HODs." *wink*

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Piper said...

Mine is next week! But I haven't had a chance to think about it. :S

Hope yours went well! :D

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger singaporeteach said...

Hi Trisha,
I have had my lesson observation already.
I think we should think of it as developmental, not judgmental. I think of it this way. It helps a great deal.
And I agree with that if we don't do well for lesson observation it would be morale breaking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home