Trisha Reloaded

Dedicated to Trisha, as always. Dedicated also to L, my source of inspiration, and the reason why I choose to see the bright side of teaching.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Same Boat

One thing I do (and I suspect many teachers do) when I attend some teacher seminar thing is to talk to teachers from other schools and see who's got the worse deal. So we compare things like what English essay quota we must meet, how many Saturdays we have to go back to school, what time we knock off work...etc.

My latest survey is to find out who's got to give holiday lessons and for how long. Guess what, almost every other school I have had the chance to check has 2 weeks of holiday lessons for the Sec 4's. The only exception I have found is an independent school whose students undergo the through-train program, so no O levels to fret over, and blissfully no necessity for holiday lessons.

Other than that, it appears that almost every other school, neighbourhood calibre or not, are committed to wearing the teachers and students out by having lessons for 2 weeks this June. No parent has actually complained. I suppose they are very grateful the schools are so earnest about helping their kids face the O levels. No one has also questioned the effectiveness of this program. No one has wondered if depriving people of rest is helpful to achieving good results.

Meanwhile, teachers of Sec 4 students are collectively moaning the loss of 50% of their break. No one dares to utter a protest because we realise many schools are doing it, so why are you complaining, you lazy bum?

We are all in the same boat, suffering the same stress, same lethargy. Oh, for a voice of reason to pierce through the malaise of insanity in this system of mindless academic pursuit! Save our teachers, liberate our young ones. Please.

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger tscd said...

You might even find that some of your sec 4 kids don't even attend the holiday classes!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger trisha said...

(Unfortunately) my class' attendance is almost 100%. Aarrgh, so no way I can relax and bring them to the library to just choose a book.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Maria said...

This is what I hate about the education system here.

Thank god month long holidays in polys really mean holidays. But the one week or two weeks break that we get always equates to "finish-your-bloody-projects-and-
get-ready-for-presentations" week. Once the semester starts,its full speed, and once it ends you can finally heave a sigh of relief. Exactly like a roller-coaster ride.

My younger sis, who's in Sec 4, also has to attend lessons for 2 weeks during the break. My parents think its good. I think its ridiculous. Hmm,anyways,take care!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

heyo. just to let you know i updated my blogroll and thanks for your encouragment. :)

heh. i guess they give holiday classes so the parents can't say that the school doesn't put in effort. obviously they don't think about how much time and effort the teachers have to put in though. >.<

 

Post a Comment

<< Home